Saturday, September 18, 2010

"Let My People Go!!"

We have left an important part of this sentence out... "Let my people go, that they may serve me" (Exodus 9:1).

We have conveniently left out the part demanding work from us!! We like the freedom part, the work.. well, let's leave that part out, that's not bumper-sticker friendly.

From several things I have come to understand lately, I think I have underestimated God's proclamation that, "I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God" (Exodus 20:5). The first four commandments He has given us concentrate on giving God His proper reverence in our lives.

This is a challenging idea. I do not quite know what properly serving God would look like. I know we are given a mission for this life... spreading the good news of Jesus and serving others around us... the poor, orphans, widows. I find myself falling far short, and find it far easier to spread human reasoning rather than the truth and love of Jesus... even really boring nerdy stuff. I acknowledge that is really lame of me and I am still working on how to do the word of God more help than harm.

Even this guy.. he is at least trying his best. I am not even doing that! Gotta give him credit, that takes guts!!!

"If you believe that there's a heaven and hell and people could be going to hell--or not getting eternal life or whatever--and you think that, well, it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward...How much do you have to hate somebody not to proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?" -Penn Jillete, from Penn and Teller (atheist)

No comments:

Post a Comment