Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Science of Sleep

I have been dead tired for the last month. It is no mystery why, our sleeping habits have slowly merged the sleeping habits of a college student and those of parents with young children. We had been going to bed later and later, and still waking up at 7am to keep up with the tots. We are like little children that don't want to waste a moment of our lives to the uselessness of sleep.

We have realized the folly of our ways as we become more and more tired during our waking hours, wasting so much more time to fatigue than if we spent the proper time sleeping. I need at least 8 hours a night, or else I'm worthless. Optimally I would sleep 9 hours a night. This is when I am at my prime operational capacity.

So, I should be going to bed at 10pm to wake up at 7am. That sounds reasonable, but that is only 2 child-free hours per night with my love!! We had been slowly becoming a more consistent 1:30 am bed time couple. That only leaves 5 1/2 hours!
I have been depending on coffee, mountain dew and Monster energy drink. Oh man, the Monster makes me feel like I am constantly in a hurry, sloppily and groggily rushing to and fro. I noticed that when I depend on artificial sources of energy, the energy is not as high quality and short-lived.
So, beginning this week we have been behaving like responsible adults and getting some good sleep. The first day, still tired. The second day, pretty good. The third day I'm doing frickin' jumping jacks and push ups in the living room while my two year old is telling me to settle down!!! Man, who knew?! Sleep is amazing!!!

Here is an article on the science of sleep...not the movie (although I highly recommend the movie as well.)

1 comment: